Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Vive la France!

So we all know that the French are known for their fine cuisine and they are also known for eating things such as frog legs, liver et cetera. Well, my host mother, Bridgette, is an amazing cook. I would like to give an example of what I have been consuming for dinner over the past couple weeks. Last night I had the most amazing meal yet. We began with salad with the same vinagrette I use at home. Good start. Then we continued with spinach (not usually my favorite) sauteed in a cheese sauce. So yummy. Then we had steak (!!!) with mushrooms (again not my favorite) and a cheese sauce. Delicious. We then had cheese, my favorite part. My host mom found out that my favorite type of cheese is Chevre so she bought that to add to the assortment of cheese. Like I said, it is my favorite part of the meal. It was the most amazing meal ever.

Now to move on and discuss some of the weirder things I have consumed. I decided when I came to France I was going to try everything that I was served. Anyway, lets start with slightly smoked salmon. For anyone who knows me, you know I do not like raw fish (or slightly smoked... not cooked... smoked). So this was new for me. We placed the salmon in a crepe and put sour cream and lemon on it... sounds odd. But it was delicious. The other night we had something that resembled steak... it looked the same... but didn't taste the same. So I decided to ask. My host mom said, "Well... it is... foie... I don't know the word in English..." Yup, that is liver. So we had liver... it was good... but the texture was a little strange. And then there was the fish... wrapped around a pickle... These all sound very strange, but it was amazing.

Needless to say, dinner is my favorite time of day!

1 comment:

  1. dude, my friend got served horse when he was living in aix, multiple times... without him knowing.
    ps. try: foie gras (dear lord it's delicious).. i had boudin (blood sausage) and it was banging, if you can get over the texture.
    keep up the adventurousness... is that a word

    ReplyDelete