Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I realized today, when I was eating my lunch that consisted of baguette, la vache qui rit (laughing cow cheese), badoit and an orange (yummy!), how lucky I really was. My friend and I were eating our little lunch outside of a church, the one pictured previously, that is ancient and beautiful. It seems that the French girls who were sitting next to us in the warm sun did not even seem to notice or appreciate this. And this is a silly thought. They see this gorgeous church every day. They also see buildings that were built before the 16th century all the time.... it is a part of their life. My friend and I realized and very much appreciated how lucky we were and glad that we were able to appreciate a church that was built in the 5th century! I have always been a fan of Europe and European history, but to be eating lunch right next to this church was amazing! I discussed this with a French professor and he laughed and said, "Welcome to France, where they actually knew how to build buildings and monuments that would last forever." It is true, I do not know what the oldest building is in the United States, but it is obviously not even close to anything in France! Tonight we have a little party put together by Erasmus and all universities in Aix, so that all the international and American students can meet each other as well as other French students! I am very excited to meet some interesting people! A plus (See you later)!

No comments:

Post a Comment