Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Les grèves et mes vacances

So, this week was the beginning of my spring vacation! I had made plans to explore France a bit with a friend, Whitney, and we had planned on a trip to Cassis (a little beach town on the Mediterranean), then a bigger trip to Lyon, Grenoble and Geneva (Switzerland!). Then I would travel on to Bretagne with my parents! I started break on a good note; I visited the other IAU program that I got into but choose not to go to in Avignon. I have a few friends who are there from HWS and I wanted to visit them before they left (their program ends in early May)!

We had a great time walking around the walled city, which was really cool! Unluckily and luckily the weather held out... it was cloudy and gross, but it didn't rain, even through there was a 80% chance! A few friends from Aix came to join us and we finally we able to explore the parts of Avignon that are most famous; the Palais des Papes and the Pont d'Avignon! We went to the Palais first ( the Popes moved to Avignon in 1309 but returned to Rome in 1377) and explored that area a bit! It was amazing and much bigger than I imagined! Then we journeyed on to the Pont d'Avignon... which of course, we danced upon (remember the children's song... sur la pont d'avignon, on y danse...?)! I will put those pictures up soon on webshots!


So I mentioned my plans about break (Lyon, Grenoble, and Geneva)... but France does not want me to go there I guess :( The people who work for the train stations throughout France, and therefore the trains themselves are not working... starting Wednesday... the day I was supposed to begin my trip. So we luckily were able to do some quick thinking, adn Whitney and I are exploring a little more of France! We shall see what we are able to do though, because the strike may last for 24 hours or it could last for 3 days... it depends on how the workers feel. Ohhh la la, la France et les greves! Hopefully everything will work out!

1 comment:

  1. hahah, welcome to france. home of the greve. hope it all worked out in the end!!

    ReplyDelete